On Aug 4, 2013, at 9:11 PM, Mark Seifert <seifertm...@att.net> wrote:

>   Dear Sirs,
>   I remember reading that Hoppy Smith encountered severe difficulty
>   studying music theory because he did not play keyboard, but toughed it
>   out and succeeded.  I dropped out of Music Theory 2 freshman year
>   because of not knowing keyboard at all.

When I was in college I somehow passed the piano exam. A friend of mine lobbied
heavily and eventually got the administration to accept guitar instead of
keyboard skills. I see his point, but I didn't care so much. The standards were
low enough that I could pass. I do find it useful, though, particularly when
I've had an injury say, to be able to play things on the keyboard. I find it a
real test of knowing a piece to be able to read the tab on the keyboard.
Dombois used to do that routinely in my lessons.

Ed Durbrow
Saitama, Japan
http://www.youtube.com/user/edurbrow?feature=watch
https://soundcloud.com/ed-durbrow