Hmmmm.....
Does this mean that I made a strategic mistake 20 years ago by never charging a penny
for my wares?
Dammit....
RT

On 8/7/2013 10:07 AM, R. Mattes wrote:
On Wed, 7 Aug 2013 11:23:07 +0000, Ron Andrico wrote
   Briefly, playing for free
(or worse, paying to play) doesn't really do   any lasting good.  It
only makes the potential audience think that your   music should be
free.  We only play for free for children and for   worthy causes
aimed at people who are more disadvantaged than us.
Yes, I just wanted to send the same remarks.
Ask yourself a simple question: "Am I professional?"
Which professional of any other profession would work for free?
The plumber who repaired all bathrooms in town for free so
people will pay him when they need a plumber ... oh, wait.

I'm shocked at what stupid "marketing tricks" people believe in.
Please, remember - marketing techniques do not scale (down). What might
be a brilliant campaign for a large company will not work out for
the small business. Keep in mind: large companies usually don't need
to _create_ a market, their campaigns usually fight for market share.
It's not: "can we sell Bonzos to the public", it's about: "Will the
public buy our Bonzos or the ones from our competitor".
A concert you play for free is a concert you will not play for fee ;-)

Sometimes your market will be small, no matter what you do
(outdoor pools in Greenland come to mind) - let's face it,
playing sophisticated, rather intellectual lute music isn't
for everyone.

  Cheers, RalfD