On Tuesday, August 06, 2013 5:08 PM, R. Mattes wrote:
> Here I have to strongly object. I think that web-pages are totally over-rated
> (and I _do_ have some experience with the World Wide Web). Of all the
> musicians I know, only one, once, got a concert because of his web page.
> Maybe it's totally different in the states but the idea that a concert
> organizer
> googles for a Lute player (or any other kind of musician) is absurd. You get
> concerts because you _know_ people (and contact them at least twice a
> year!). You build up networks - invite other musicians to concert series you
> organize and hopefuly you get invited back (oh, and you need to have at
> least a small concert series :-)
>
> The problem of most organizers/comitees is not having to few groups to play
> (and hence having to find some) - it's more often having too many ....

Writing as a concert series organizer in the states, I generally agree, Ralf.
I don't pursue any artists myself.  Instead, I choose our series from whoever
has sent me proposals to perform.  Of course, decisions are weighted by
whatever they send me as proposal material--reviews, formal press packets, CV,
commercial recordings, etc--as well as personal knowledge of artists and
careers.  While submitted material almost always involves some reference to an
artist-dedicated web site, it doesn't always . . . And such sites certainly are
not the first place I look for contact; direct contact from artists is.
Hard-copy material is growing rarer, and much of what I receive in recent years
is electronic.

> > I have yet to see a paper out at a lute concert where the players is
> > collecting emails for his own mailing list.
> > Concert promoters have a hard time getting audiences out and need all
> > the help they can get. Musicians who help them fill the seats get
> > booked. - the lute world seems to be made up of players of all levels,
> > but completely empty of people who are just fans.

> Yes, that's sadly a phenomen the lute world shares with the guitar world.
> Player-only-audiences. I think it correlates with the fact that guitar-/lute
> players often _only_ listen to Lute/Guitar music (have a look at your lute/
> guitar player friends CD shelves). I prefer to dwell in the early music world
> where ensembles do have "fan" audiences.

Alas . . .  While this is too much the case for the wee series I organize
(http://columbusguitarsociety.org/Concert_Series.html), it certainly is not for
our local early-music series (http://www.earlymusicincolumbus.org/) that has
been drawing a diverse and ever-increasing audience of community appreciators
and (to a much lesser extent) players.  While I offer my sincerest
congratulations to their artistic director and board, I don't entirely
understand.

Best,
Eugene

Eugene C. Braig IV
Artistic Director
Phone: 614-561-9204
e-mail: cgs.eug...@gmail.com

The Columbus Guitar Society
Capital University, Conservatory of Music
1 College & Main
Columbus, OH 43209
USA

http://columbusguitarsociety.org/