Definitely rounded. I can't see how you'd shape them down in place on the belly so knock them off and make new ones. Tonewise, I don't think the material makes a significant difference but they'll sound a lot nicer when they are rounded. Much like the effect when you trade those old flat-topped gut frets for new ones.