Bamboo. Comes pre-shaped in the form of bbq/fondue skewers and/or tooth
   picks.
   David

   *******************************
   David van Ooijen
   [1]davidvanooi...@gmail.com
   [2]www.davidvanooijen.nl
   *******************************
   On 30 October 2013 06:05, Dan Winheld <[3]dwinh...@lmi.net> wrote:

     Talk of tastini has gotten me wondering, what is the best material
     for body frets? I have been playing a lot of music recently that
     dances around in the lute's stratosphere- Melchior Neusidler,
     Mudarra, Milan's advanced fantasias, etc. The plain wooden frets I
     have now-  probably Maple, maybe Boxwood; sound pretty terrible
     compared to the gut frets. I am thinking Ebony, some other dense
     tropical hardwood, bone, or even some modern synthetic- but only if
     aesthetically acceptable & sonically superior. If anyone knows of
     some magic non-metallic body fret material I would really like to
     know.
     Part of the problem is the buzzing, unclean sound that results from
     a squared off fret- an inevitable result of having to shave them
     down for proper clearance after gluing down. Ideally, they should be
     crowned- or at least rounded edges for best tone. Tough, fussy job
     to do even before installation for the non-luthier DIY amateur.
     Thanks all for any enlightenment on this bit of lute pain.
     Dan