Rock Maple, used primarily for the bridges of bowed instruments, would work
nicely.  It's very very hard, and very light in color.

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf
Of Dan Winheld
Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 1:24 PM
Cc: lute
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Best body fret material?

Thanks all for the great replies. Lilac? That is the most intriguing of all.
Holly and bamboo sound like good candidates also.

Sterling- thanks for reminding me of those amazing frets! I must have seen
them at Cleveland some time ago. A top professional guitar builder in my
neighborhood recommends bone over ivory for strength &
durability-  I am considering letting him do my body frets this time around.

Dan

On 10/30/2013 9:23 AM, Eric Hansen wrote:
>     A few years ago I was visiting luthier Joel Van Lennep, who showed me
>     his favorite material for fixed (body) frets: lilac. He said he
>     preferred it because it's very hard, and yet still flexible.
>

>     Best to all,
>
>     Eric
>
>     On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 6:21 AM, Sterling <[1]spiffys84...@yahoo.com>
>     wrote:
>
>       I have body frets on one lute made of an ivory-ebony sandwich and
>       they sound great up to the 14th fret. Cutting ivory is not easy
>       though as it tends to shatter. Another lute I have has
>       holly-ebony-holly frets. I like these flashy frets, but my friend
>       Bob Hieronimus hates them and prefers that the body frets are almost
>       invisible.
>       Sterling
>       Sent from my iPhone
>
>     On Oct 29, 2013, at 11:05 PM, Dan Winheld <[2]dwinh...@lmi.net> wrote:
>     > Talk of tastini has gotten me wondering, what is the best material
>     for body frets? I have been playing a lot of music recently that
dances
>     around in the lute's stratosphere- Melchior Neusidler, Mudarra,
Milan's