Two factors are of importance here. First the fret has to be crowned to get a
good tone however, many soundboards are very thin in the area where the body
frets are supposed to be located. This makes tone production a wobbly affair.
It is easy to know where the bars are situated  because where the body fret is
positioned on or very close to a bar the sound is much improved.
Some luthiers glue additional bars to the soundboard to stiffen it up in the
critical area, although the old ones sometimes do not have those bars.
Not all historical lutes had body frets or so it seems. My favorite fret
material is bamboo as it is very easy to split and after glueing it on is very
easy to crown and adjust the height with a small chisel. Take care not to dig
in the belly though!
Happy luting!

Lex
Op 30 okt 2013, om 06:05 heeft Dan Winheld het volgende geschreven: