I fear there is a natural tendency to think of the rose as the hole that "lets the sound out", but I think this is a case where intuitive physics lets us down. The size of the opening affects the natural resonant frequency of the body, with a smaller opening giving a lower frequency.

But I invite all you proper physicists out there to explain why!

A more complex issue, but one which is related in that it also involves a mismatch between intuitive physics and the real thing: many people seem to believe that the lute soundboard should be flexible to "allow it to vibrate", and that the more flexible it is the better the bass response. In fact I think - please contradict me if I'm wrong - that the frequencies which we are interested in are far too high to be aided by a floppy soundboard, which is more likely to have a damping effect. As far as I can see, a relatively rigid soundboard is going to produce a more sustained sound. The most important factor is the mass, which must be kept as small as possible so it can be activated by a small input of energy - hence the rather thin soundboards (supported by many bars to retain sufficient rigidity) required by lutes.

Martin