Well, Howard, I looked at those threads and I'm none the wiser.

There seems to be disagreement over the difference between the fundamental resonant frequency of the body cavity and the note you might get if you blow into it. Surely one of you physics guys out there can sort this out for us?

I tried damping all the strings and singing at the lute - my G lutes seem to like C# and F lutes seem to like B. Slightly surprising, but at least it's a difference of a tone.

Covering part of the rose seems only to reduce the overall resonance, but it's hard to assess any change in pitch as it's rather hard to do effectively with the strings on (also I worry that damping the strings might not have been as effective as I'd like). I'll try it on a new lute without strings when the varnish is dry enough for me to handle it.

Meanwhile, let's have some proper theory!

Best wishes,

Martin