And the Albigensian Crusade was just as brutal. The church was already honing its skills.

On 5/6/2015 2:40 PM, theoj89...@new-old-mail.cs.dartmouth.edu wrote:
    Wow, "the (Spanish) Inquisition was rather mild" ? I was under the
    impression that it was rather brutal. Emperor Rudolf II spent his
    childhood with relatives in Spain and was so abhorred by the torutre
    and murder of non Christians that, when he was Emperor he assured
    religious tolerance in his realm. Are you sure you are not referring to
    the Monty Python version of the Spanish Inquisition (Ge the comfy
    chair!). trj

    -----Original Message-----
    From: r.turovsky <r.turov...@gmail.com>
    To: lute <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
    Sent: Wed, May 6, 2015 5:07 pm
    Subject: [LUTE] Re: Spain vs. Italy
Mark,
    there are a lot of misconceptions about inquisition, it was rather
mild
    by our 20th century standards, and most suspects were let off the
hook.
    And no one was really eliminated in Spain: 1 in 5 male Spaniards are

genetically patrilineally Jewish now, and 1 in 10 are Moors. University
    of
Leeds did a large scale DNA study a few years ago.
    RT
       On 5/6/2015