Yes.  I thought Diana Poulton demonstrated that the lute was present in
   Spain throughout the 16th century in her article, The Lute in Christian
   Spain. Lute Society Journal 19 (1977): 34-49.  I always thought the
   vihuela was more popular in Spain because it was more graceful to play
   while wearing those silly outfits.
   RA

   <davidvanooi...@gmail.com>

   Brittany
   > > Hughes said that one reason the Spanish kings/queens so brutally
   > > expelled or forced conversion on the "Moors" (1523 was an important
   > > date of escalation, and then the worst of the Inquisition was
   imposed
   > > in 1609) was that the Turks liked to raid the coast of Spain from
   their
   > > ships, escalating anti-Muslim hatred throughout this period. She
   > > didn't mention why the Jews were so oppressed, as they seem like
   > > innocent bystanders. I wonder if they also tried to eliminate the
   > > lute, because it was seen as a Moorish instrument, or the lute
   belly
   > > reminded them of something really evil, like the belly of a
   pregnant
   > > woman, heaven forbid.
   > > In defense of Spain, Dr. Teofilo Ruiz of UCLA in his "Terror of
   > > History" course said that the Spanish ended their witch hunting
   decades
   > > before England and Germany (and America). Maybe the adverse effects
   of
   > > eliminating Jews and Muslims helped them realize that getting rid
   of
   > > all their witches wouldn't improve anything.
   > > I had a really spooky/scary experience in 1973 after I got a
   minimum
   > > wage job vacuuming dust off the books in the dark stacks of Widener
   > > Library (built after the Titanic went down in honor of a son of a
   > > Boston Brahmin family). Was sitting on the cold concrete floor
   dusting
   > > a row of books when I encountered a black leather clad tome whose
   > > binding showed one word, my last name spelled correctly, and the
   date
   > > "1728" in silver Gothic letters. Shocked and amazed, I pulled it
   out,
   > > opened it and discovered it was a baroque legal textbook discussing
   in
   > > incredible detail some issues regarding die Hexen. Though I was
   > > studying German at the time, I couldn't quite figure out if it
   covered
   > > how to identify/prosecute or how to defend/absolve the witches!
   There
   > > were columns and tables of criteria, and even some numbers. I
   suspect
   > > the botched Salem trials and executions before the turn of the
   century
   > > caused Germans concern so they wanted to do a better legal job than
   the
   > > crazed Massachusetts clerics. Talk about having a skeleton in one's
   > > family's ancestral closet. I tried later to access that volume on
   > > line, but the book appears to be gone. Since classes had ended, I
   > > didn't take the book to my German teacher Herr Reller, but I also
   > > feared what the book might contain. I believe by 1728 the Spanish
   had
   > > gotten over any obsession about Hexen, but not yet England and
   Germany.

   <[10]l...@pantagruel.de>

   > > set

   > > England