   From: Gary Boye <boy...@appstate.edu>
   To: Martyn Hodgson <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
   Cc: David Van Edwards <da...@vanedwards.co.uk>; "lute@cs.dartmouth.edu"
   <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Tuesday, 24 November 2015, 13:19
   Subject: Re: [LUTE] Re: Another lute picture?
   Martyn,
   There seems to be an inside joke we're not privy to here. It may just
   be that the artist liked the 90 degree angle created by the 2
   instruments when held this way. And/or if she held it in the normal
   position she would have risked obscuring the man's face and throwing
   off the composition.But look at the dog: he/she doesn't seem to be
   enjoying the lute playing and the reaction is aimed pointedly at the
   lute player. Something important is happening there.
   This borders on parody, seen apparently from the point of view of the
   male gamba player, who looks directly at us. Subtle; but barely . . .
   It seems to me to be a joke on the woman, whether or not she was "in"
   on it.
   Gary
   On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 6:14 AM, Martyn Hodgson