The lute was exactly that - a symbol familial harmony, even in the hands of whores in Dutch paintings, where is was meant so - sarcastically.
RT

On 11/24/2015 9:38 AM, AJN wrote:
    There are paintings of the interiors of artists' studios that show
    props used in pictures:
    busts, skulls, ornate chairs, drapes and sometimes (iirc) musical
    instruments.  Such
    props are even listed in tax inventories, I understand.
    Art historians have traced some from painting to painting, e.g., an
    ornate three-leg chair.
    Instruments might serve, as perhaps is the case in this painting,
    as symbols of the harmonious nature of love.  The over reaction of the
    sitters in
    this painting recalls, at least to me, the depictions of various
    emotions illustrated in old treatises on acting.