On 24/11/2015 15:36, David Van Edwards wrote:
    However I think the painting I discussed was simply copying the prop[s]
    from Eglon van der Neer's works! The physical impossibility of holding
    such a lute in such a position without grossly disturbing the diapason
    strings makes me think that the painting has nothing to do with either
    van der Neer or van der Werff. Plus all the other anachronisms!

Fascinating.

David, I read your interpretation as being much more sceptical about this painting than the people who have so far contributed to this thread. Am I wrong?

Stuart

    Best wishes,

    David