> On Dec 12, 2015, at 9:21 AM, Edward Martin <edvihuel...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>   I am wondering, has anybody on the list read some of the arguments
>   about changing the modern pitch standard as a + 432?

A major push for 432 came from none other than convicted mail fraud conspirator
and 8-time fringe presidential candidate Lyndon Larouche, who defined “weird”
in American politics until Donald Trump redefined it.  Here’s an excerpt from
the Wikipedia page on Larouche; I can’t vouch for its accuracy in all things:

> 1989: Musical interests and Verdi tuning initiative:
>
> LaRouche and his wife have an interest in classical music up to the period of
> Brahms. A motto of LaRouche's European Workers' Party, is "Think like
> Beethoven"; movement offices typically include a piano and posters of German
> composers, and members are known for their choral singing at protest events
> and for using satirical lyrics tailored to their targets.[152] LaRouche
> abhors popular music; he said in 1980, "Rock was not an accidental thing.
> This was done by people who set out in a deliberate way to subvert the United
> States. It was done by British intelligence," and wrote that the Beatles were
> "a product shaped according to British Psychological Warfare Division
> specifications."[153] LaRouche movement members have protested at
> performances of Richard Wagner's operas, denouncing Wagner as an anti-Semite
> who found favor with the Nazis, and called a conductor "satanic" because he
> played contemporary music.[154]
>
> In 1989 LaRouche advocated that classical orchestras should use a concert
> pitch based on A above middle C (A4) tuned to 432 Hz, which the Schiller
> Institute called the "Verdi pitch," a pitch that Verdi had suggested as
> optimal, though he also composed and conducted in other pitches such as the
> French official diapason normal of 435 Hz, including his Requiem in 1874.[155]
>
> The Schiller Institute initiative attracted support from more than 300 opera
> stars, including Joan Sutherland, Plácido Domingo and Luciano Pavarotti, who
> according to Opera Fanatic may or may not have been aware of LaRouche's
> politics. A spokesman for Domingo said Domingo had simply signed a
> questionnaire, had not been aware of its origins, and would not agree with
> LaRouche's politics. Renata Tebaldi and Piero Cappuccilli, who were running
> for the European Parliament on LaRouche's "Patriots for Italy" platform,
> attended Schiller Institute conferences as featured speakers. The discussions
> led to debates in the Italian parliament about reinstating Verdi's
> legislation. LaRouche gave an interview to National Public Radio on the
> initiative from prison. The initiative was opposed by the editor of Opera
> Fanatic, Stefan Zucker, who objected to the establishment of a "pitch
> police," and argued that LaRouche was using the issue to gain
> credibility.[156]

Here’s a 1989 story about it from the Washington Post, which goes into some of
the arguments:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/1989/05/27/lyndon-larouches-pitch-battle/756e0713-65eb-4059-90b2-037fd2f1f6e1/