just for your information, I have a Tiorbino made by Colin Everett in
   Ottawa.. I tune it at standard Renaissance pitch (like a regular lute)
   my 7th through 13th course ( I don,t have 14 courses on this
   instrument, although Colin also made 14 courses) are singles and I have
   recently and successfully used Mimmo Peruffo's loaded Nylgut from 5th
   course down.. ( 5th and 6th in octaves)
   cheers
   Bruno Cognyl-Fournier
   (Montreal, Quebec)