OK so we could be looking at a "normal" Italian theorbo (6x2, 8x1) which has been mangled into something else.  What a shame.

On 11/12/2017 20:54, Matthew Daillie wrote:
On 11/12/2017 20:31, Martin Shepherd wrote:
Thanks, Matthew - the plot thickens! You say "German-style" bridge - does that mean it might have been turned into a massive "German theorbo" (whatever that is)?  Also strange that the upper neck (as we would say) was modified to accommodate more pegs rather than simply being replaced. Perhaps we could be looking at a totally single-strung theorbo which has been subject to extensive modification.

Martin

Sorry, yes, I meant to say the upper-neck peg box (not the lower-neck peg box) has been modified to accommodate the extra pegs (not fully compos mentis today, I've got a rotten cold).

Regarding the bridge, the curator (presumably Joël Dugot) describes it as being 'conçu dans la tradition germanique'. If it was converted into a so-called German theorbo (like the copy Hoppy had made for his latest recording of Bach's first three cello suites), that would mean the 7th course would be Ff rather than Gg, which would be easier to find a suitable octave string for (although the instrument would have 14 rather than 13 courses, which is perhaps rather odd).

Not only has the instrument definitely undergone extensive modification but in addition (again according to the curator) the work was poorly executed.

Best,

Matthew

---