I fully agree, Howard, that it is always interesting to explore how lutemaking
developed and why certain instruments were modified to cater for changes in
taste. There were clearly some very convincing conversions made of renaissance
lutes for baroque lutenists, but wouldn't we have preferred that they start
afresh so that we have both a renaissance lute and a baroque lute in their
original state? What about all those historic lutes converted into
hurdy-gurdies or 'lute-guitars' of one sort or another. We could also take into
consideration the quality of these conversions, often blindly assuming that
modern tastes and methods are better. Sometimes, as with harpsichords (of the
Ruckers family in particular) the conversions have enabled the instruments to
survive across the ages in one form or another but frequently so modified as to
give us few clues regarding their original state.
Anyway, I do hope that Magnus gets the instrument he wants and finds suitable
strings for the diapasons.
Best
Matthew