Dear Howard, Matthew, Martin and Mimmo,
   thanks very much for your insightful comments.
   As we all know, lutes and theorboes were rebuilt- I ´d not use the word
   mangle here- throughout the history.
   Samuel Pepys gives us an example on the 25th of October 1661:
   [1]"Home on foot very discontented, in my way I calling at the
   Instrument maker, Hunt ´s, and there saw my lute, which is now almost
   done, it being to have a new neck to it and to be made to double
   strings."
   To me- what we here with Sellas, is a theorbo that was rebuilt, into
   what Howard is implying, an instrument that ought
   to be played. If the original neck was broken and thus remade, or
   remade for musical reasons, we may not know.
   I think we can exclude the thought of it being a German theorbo. All
   surviving instruments that could ´ve
   been used as German theorboes have single bass strings throughout. Also
   Baron tells us that the fingerboard strings are double,
   but the long basses single. So even though the bridge is German, the
   tuning could very well have been the old "standard" tuning in G or A.
   1,3 m long basses would in my opinion not cut it with single strings
   (if we think of plain gut as the original string of choice) in terms of
   power- thus the necessity of octaves.
   If the theorbo would be tuned in 415hz, and in A, the first long string
   would give us a breaking index of 1.3 m x 185 hz = 240,5 m.hz.
   If tuned in 392 hz, 227,5 m.hz. How would this sound? I think (and
   hope!), majestic. Perhaps like the theorbo that the musician of Louis
   XIV holds
   in his hands, in the painting of François Puget...
   Best,
   Magnus