Thanks, Antonio. You answered my question a long time ago about how the
   vihuela (and lute) appeared in the Don Quixote. Nice to hear from you
   -s

   On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 2:05 PM Antonio Corona
   <[1]abcor...@cs.dartmouth.edu> wrote:

        From: Sean Smith <[2]lutesm...@gmail.com>
        To: lute <[3]lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
        Sent: Sunday, 26 August 2018, 12:41
        Subject: [LUTE] Re: Nigel's Francesco vol 2
        Dear Sean
        Don`t worry, Don Quijote de la Mancha couldn't hear a difference
        either, back in 1615. When he listened to Sanson Carrasco playing
     in a
        forest he told Sancho:
        Pero escucha, que a lo que parece templando esta vn laud, o
     viguela, y
        segun escupe, y se desembaraà §a el pecho, deue prepararse para
     cantar
        algo.
        Best.
        Antonio
          If we cannot hear the differences between the two instruments
     from a
          recorded performance, what conclusions should we draw? Is the
          difference more apparent when we are in the same room? Should
     we
          suspect they have been mixed (deliberately? inadvertently?) to
     make
          them more similar?
          Sean