On Mon, Jan 25, 1999 at 07:06:53PM +0100, Asger K. Alstrup Nielsen wrote:
> > (1) Call it reLyX, which can be translated as reLyX in all (latin-1)
> > languages. Unless you want to call it réLyX or something, to sound fancier.
> > (In america, accents make words foreign and hence exotic. Perhaps the joke
> > is lost on the few non-American readers of this list.)
>
> The joke is American readers.
>
> Oh sorry. It's not Friday.

Hm. Perhaps the joke is the French and Danish readers who still can't get
"reply" to send just one copy of e-mails...

> I'm not sure we want to add that input field for reLyX.  If
> we should do anything, it would be a fancy dialog such that
> the options are transparent to the user.
> I'd prefer that importing of LaTeX is a non-brainer.  If this
> is unattainable, we should at least provide a user friendly
> interface.
>
> Maybe a part of this interface is a generic input field,
> but I think it would be wrong to let it stand alone.

Hm. Interesting. For example, you could have a combobox to select the layout
(which is just the same as the list in the Layout->Document popup and
gets passed to -c), radio buttons for -d and -p (and have LyX check that a
-c is chosen if -p is selected), and input fields for regular environments
(-r). Plus an input field for extra syntax files (-s) with a browse button.

I would think it would be pretty simple to build this, no?

> Regarding whether to include the documentation inside LyX:
> I think not.  Since you have to do the work at the command
> line never the less, there is really no point in having
> a largish document inside LyX that basically says:
> Go to a prompt and do this.  A man page serves this
> purpose beautifully.
>
> So at this point, it does not make much sense to put
> the documentation as a separate item under the help
> menu.  What I propose is this:  Insert it by hand
> into one of the exisiting documents, preferably the
> Extended Editing, or whatever it's called, with
> a proper disclaimer attached.  Later, when we get
> the fancy dialog, we can then adjust the disclaimer
> appropriately.

Aha! Well, at least we got someone to talk. Asger, you should probably argue
with Jean-Marc, who originally had this idea. I only really did this because
Jean-Marc seemed quite in favor of it. I guess his point was that he liked
having all the documentation within LyX.

I'm a bit wary of sticking this inside Extended Editing. Does it really fit?
And it's kind of big.... Once the dialog has been perfected, it would make
somewhat more sense I suppose. OTOH, maybe this would belong in the LyX and
LaTeX chapter of UG. Is this really an extended feature? I can't tell.

-Amir