Scott> Dear Lyx developers, Congratulations on your 1.0.0 release.  It
Scott> built without any problem on my RedHat 4.1 Linux box with
Scott> gcc-2.7.2.1, and I can tell it is going to be my document
Scott> editor of choice.

Thanks.

Scott> As you advance toward your goal of toolkit agnosticism, have
Scott> you considered the use of ivtools
Scott> (http://www.vectaport.com/ivtools/)?  It has switchable
Scott> look-and-feel with existing support for old-Mac, OpenLook,
Scott> Motif, and an SGI-variant of Motif.  This list could be
Scott> expanded to include the look of gtk+, KDE, Windows, and
Scott> new-Mac, all without any fundamental changes to the
Scott> infrastructure of the toolkit.  And the resultant code can go
Scott> anywhere you have POSIX, a plain-vanilla C++ compiler, and
Scott> support for the X protocol (i.e. a Transmeta box).

The route we are trying to take is to have a tk-independent LyX core,
and let people develop native frontends on top of that. It is clear
that KDE people, for example, would not want something which looks
like a KDE app, but something which *is* a KDE app.