On Wed, Mar 24, 1999 at 08:53:07AM -0500, John Weiss wrote:

> I was taught that "[]" is the proper way to indicate: A) parts of a
> quotation that were added by an editor/second author, such as for
> spelling corrections and ellipses; B) asides, comments, or remarks by
> the writer that are outside of the context of the current sentence,
> but not so removed as to be suitable for a footnote.  I see this usage
> in magazines and newspapers I read.
>
> Nevertheless, in the interest of harmony, I will ask a coworker who's
> a documentation writer by trade what the proper typography is.

Mea culpa.  I was wrong about Parens.

My coworker tells me that, in the above, (A) is the correct use for
"[]".  All other remarks, such as parenthetical comments, should be in
"()".

I will, when time permits, correct the docs by hand.  I'll schedule
this in advance with the list to avoid collisions.  [Translation:
it's not gonna happen now, but later.]

--
John Weiss
On a train, someplace between Pawling and White Plains...