Allan Rae wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Mar 1999, John Weiss wrote:
[ ]
> > This is a problem that I will write about & add to DocStyle pretty
> > soon:  things that don't translate.
> >
> > An example of typography that doesn't translate is the use of "[ ]" in
> > english for editorial comments and such.  In the English version of
> > the docs ... all of them ... there should be no use of "()" or "{}"
> > instead of "[]" around comments from the author/editor.  That's simply
> > improper typography.
>
> So an aside (or Parenthetical to use Garst's hollywood) is not allowed?
> There is a big difference IMO between an aside and an a editorial remark.
>
> Besides, you better contact Addison-Wesley and other big publishing houses
> and tell them to not let their authors put in asides in parentheses.
> Nearly, every textbook or instruction manual I have has asides in
> parentheses but zero editorial comments in [] (because they were fixed
> before printing).
>
> Allan. (ARRae)
Actually, there is a difference between 'asides' and 'parentheticals'.
Asides may appear in my upcoming broadway.cls. Note the word
"parenthesis", referring to () to denote a "parenthetical" expression,
which if left out will not change the meaning of the sentence. The
parentheticals in hollywood are hints to the actor as to how to play the
scene. Most actors take a black marker to them :).
An aside is speaking to someone on the sidelines (in a play, usually to
the audience), such as: For those of you not familiar with LaTeX...
But it might also be parenthetical (For those of you who disagree with
John :).
--
Garst