Lars Gullik Bjønnes wrote:

> "Arnd Hanses" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> | (Often used instead of/to emulate pipe: Sorry, I'm only a casual
> | programmer, so I've always problems to use the correct terminology.
> | Grateful for any hints.)
>
> Xdvi should just watch the file for changes. It might have some
> problems when the file is deleted and later regenerated with a
> different inode number. (or equiv) But this is nothing that LyX should
> care about, this is all handled between LaTeX and Xdvi.
>
>         Lgb

Sorry, but I don't think that it is all handled by LaTeX and Xdvi.

LaTeX and Xdvi are children of LyX and directed by LyX to the
internally computed hidden tmp-directory. I'm aware of that
effect: If I close a file and reopen it again, then I have to
close my running Xdvi too, because it is useless now, when using
update->dvi. If I start Xdvi again it works ok. But there is no
mystery. LyX creates a new tmp-directory (as I can see with /bin/ls)
and starts working there. The update-dvi operation creates the
new dvi file in the new tmp-dir.

latex doesn't delete and recreates the dvi file,
the contents of the dvi file will be replaced by latex/tex.

Greets,

Stephan Witt

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  | beusen unternehmensgruppe senkel
fon: +49 30 549932-62     | Landsberger Allee 392
fax: +49 30 549932-29     | 12681 Berlin, Germany