"Arnd Hanses" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> which made xdvi crash. My guess is, sometimes the file is first
> removed/truncated by LyX, then rewritten. A warning to close xdvi,

LyX does not remove/truncate/rewrite dvi files except at the exit time.
It is LaTeX compiler which does the job.  In fact LyX touches dvi files
only in lyxsum().

Now I'm confused.  You are now talking about dvi update, right?
But your patch modified the behaviour of DestroyTmpDir() which is called
only when LyX is quitting.  What problem(s) are you intending to solve?

Regards,
        SMiyata