Lars> 3. means to extract the needed informatin from the babel
Lars> .ldf files. This not be too hard and using the substring and the
Lars> regex class form the old 1.1.x series should help a lot.

It would not be too difficult to write a LaTeX script which inputs
.ldf files and spits out datafiles for LyX. We could either do it just
once and distribute the datafiles or do it at configure time (is that
useful?).

The real problem I see is accents: in portugues.ldf, we have
 \def\refname{Refer\^encias}

What shall we do about that? The first idea is to translate to latin1
(with recode, for example). However, for some languages, latin2 (or
another one) would be a better choice.

So maybe creating the data files once in a semi automatic way will be
the best choice...