Am Freitag, 5. Januar 2007 18:23 schrieb Bo Peng:
> For MS Word,
>
> 1. consecutive identical copies is put to clipboard stack only once
> (clipboard content is compared against the top item)
> 2. copy from external application is copied to this stack
> 3. no paste is necessary, of course word has no concept of selection
buffer
> 4. the most useful feature is actually 'paste all' in that people
> gather pieces of texts here and there, and paste them altogether.
>
> Depending how you want this feature be, it can be
>
> 1. removed
> 2. be paste recent (what you suggested)
> 3. be clipboard stack  (maybe called clipboards) that store all
> clipboard copy (from lyx and other application), and middle-button
> paste if you wish.
>
> I personally prefer 1. :-)

That is no option as I learned from old discussions in summer ;-(

> I do not like 'middle-button paste clipboard at all' because I want
> consistent behaviors across platforms. If there is no selection buffer
> for some platforms, lyx should behave identically, just that there is
> no inter-application selection and middle-button paste.

That is the case already (except for tables, see patch in the previous
mail).

> > Persistent selection is against the "simple
> > mental model": The equation "selection == highlighted text on screen"
> > would not be true anymore.
>
> There is another simple mental model: selection, copy to selection
> buffer. middle-button paste, paste from selection buffer. This model
> may be easier to understand since it is what clipboard does.

I don't like that, but I can live with that, leT's see what other think.

> Please do so if I have to follow the 'you want it, you implement it
rule'. :-)

I'll do so after I finished the pending stuff.

> I prefer clearing the selection with a redraw, but Abdel disagree. :-)
> I do not have strong belief in this though.
>
> The actually problem is consistency. Right now, left button click
> clears selection, but not if I select some text from another
> application and click back.

I think I know why. Some haveSelection(false) calls are missing (I will
address that when I add the needed calls for keyboard selection). And I
believe that the comment

// We don't need to do anything if own = false, as this case is
// handled by QT.

in haveSelection() is wrong.

Georg