Georg Baum wrote:
Abdelrazak Younes wrote:

This last line in particular looks suspicious. Why do we set environment
variable at each translation request?

Because the environment variable determines what language gettext will use,
and we don't know what other message was translated before. To my knowledge
no library call of gettext exists that takes the language as a function
argument rather than an environment variable.

[...]
Unless you really want to spend a lot of time yo learn all aspects about
gettext I suggest that you leave this alone.

OK, thanks for the explanation. I am not pretending that I will solve everything, don't be afraid ;-). We do have an internal in source gettext. Couldn't we just support that and live all other version aside? Maybe this would simplify the code a bit, dunno.

One other thing that may be changed also is the way we load po files. It seems that there is some caching done inside gettext but it is disabled as soon as we change the po file. This is explained here:

http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/html_mono/gettext.html#SEC152

Maybe there's something wrong in the way we load the po files? Just asking to you knowledgeable people...

Abdel.