On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 05:39:08PM +0100, Uwe Stöhr wrote:
> > Following this logic, I should update each component of my OS everytime
> > an application pretends that I should have the latest/shinest versions
> > without a real need for them.
>  >
>  > Version: @(#)ImageMagick 5.4.7 07/01/02 Q:16 http://www.imagemagick.org
>  > Copyright: Copyright (C) 2002 ImageMagick Studio LLC
>
> No, but a 5 years old Imagemagick is very risky.
> Its provoking, but do we have to take care about such old program versions?

Let me be more provoking. So, to solve a bug related to PDF files generated
by an obscure application on Mac, you are willing to break LyX on an entire
platform?!

> If yes we'll be
> technically limited in fixing bugs related to third-party products and
> for new features. For example the new unicode stuff is only possible
> with teTeX 3 (2 years old). There are still distributions shipping
> teTeX 2 which is without unicode support.

I am using teTeX 2 on Solaris, and I really didn't notice that it was
not working. That's strange, because I just compiled a big document
and it looks just fine.

> Another example: to get LyX running Python 2.2 better 2.3 is required.
> I now gort some bug reports that some Dell and Compaq computers are
> delivered with older Python versions. (I solved this by shipping the
> needed python 2.5 files with the installer, the same as I do for
> ImageMagick as this program always made some troubles.)

The fact that python < 2.2 does not work, is not due to an obscure
command line argument which helps when you produce a PDF image at
7 PM on system XYZ using application ABC.

> In my opinion we cannot take care about all old program versions.

I am speaking about software delivered with the latest Solaris 10
release. If they bundle an old version, I cannot do much about it.
These are production machines which cannot follow the update strategy
followed in Debian/unstable/testing, for example, but rather the one
in Debian/stable. Each component should be guaranteed to work together
with all other OS components. Maybe a later version of ImageMagick
breaks something, and until they fix it, they will deliver an older
version, or who knows what.

--
Enrico