Dekel Tsur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

| On Fri, May 19, 2000 at 03:00:21PM +0200, Juergen Vigna wrote:
| > > I guess we should have a "default" language. We already have an
| > > "ignore" language, I do not know what the difference is.
| >
| > Agreed too! The default language in LaTeX terms is the language which my
| > LaTeX installation has as default. So "default" here means just ignore it
|
| This is not a good thing. It means that the result of your tex/lyx file varies
| between different machines.

Yes. And this is how latex works with respect to language and hyphen
patterns.

| > I don't care about that! So we should have this (we have it as selection
| > in the Document->Layout, so IMO that we should have this in the character
| > Layout too and it just says don't set the language let it as the document
| > default language! Some sort of reset it to default!)
|
| I think that having the "default" option as a document language is
|confusing.

Not if you come from LaTex.

| For example, what happens if you write a document in the default language,
| and then add a paragraph in French. In the latex file, the languages used in
| the document should be given as optional arguments to the \documentclass
| command, but what should be used instead of "default"?

You are doomed. Hopefully the user is smart enought to set the
language of the document.

| I think that a better option is to remove the "default" language from the
| document languages list, and add two lyxrc variables:
| default_language - the language which is given to new documents

No, not a lyxrc variable. This is more a default template thingie.
(jfr. save as default)

| latex_default_language - the default language of your latex installation.
|                          If you have a document only with this language,
|                          then in the generated tex file, the babel package is
|                        not loaded.

We should be able to discover this automatically.

        Lgb