On Sun, 17 Jun 2007, Uwe Stöhr wrote:

Bo Peng schrieb:

 I am not sure because Joost said that these dictionaries are for an
 earlier version of aspell and can not be used for the one compiled for
 the official installer.

I can upload the actual ones tomorrow, no problem. But also the current dictionaries work well together with the one compiled for the official installer.

Hi guys, real life intervened when a friend asked for help so I've been offline for a few days.

Here's a suggestion for locations for the installer to try and download supporting files for the LyX installation.

1. ftp.lyx.org (I don't know which machine this is, probably french)

2. aussie.lyx.org (aka www.lyx.org, wiki.lyx.org and ftp.devel.lyx.org)

3. berlios.de

Here's my reasoning: ftp.lyx.org is the offical source of downloading lyx Only one or two of the developers have write access to this machine, but AFAIK it is generally stable host and has good capacity. This machine is very different from aussie.lyx.org in this sense. As for aussie, most of the developers have write permission there, so we could set up the files on aussie and then ask e.g. Jean-Marc to mirror them to ftp.lyx.org. I think mirroring to a third place (berlios.de) could be a good idea.

Does this make sense in general?

I browsed ftp.lyx.org and the aspell files currently seem to be located at ftp://ftp.lyx.org/pub/lyx/contrib/aspell6-windows/

Are aspell dictionaries the only thing that we should provide?
Are there and components used by the downloading installers that we should provide a (backup) location for?

If it's more then aspell dictionaries, how about a directory tree that looks something like this:

* contrib/
** windows/
*** aspell/
**** 6.0/       (dictionaries for aspell6.0)
*** ? what else might there be?

I don't know if we'll need to support dictionaries for more than one version of aspell at a time, but better be prepared IMO.

Thoughts?

/Christian