Enrico Forestieri wrote:
With your patch applied, when I mark as english the footnote content I correctly see a \selectlanguage{english} inserted before "bla bla bla".
But I also see that the whole footnote inset is marked as foreign, so I
select the whole of it and mark it as english. Now it is not underlined
anymore but the \selectlanguage{english} is gone, too!

That's fine: once you set the language of the inset to be equal to that of the text inside it, then the language switch command will happen *before* the inset, and therefore there's no need for the language switch to happen inside.