John Levon wrote:
On Fri, Aug 03, 2007 at 02:57:43PM +0100, Stephen Cornell wrote:

When trying to open a file which is already open in LyX, the user is confronted with `The document blah.lyx is already loaded. Do you want to revert to the saved version? <revert> <switch to document>.'

`Switch' and `revert' are too ambiguous - no matter how many times I see this, each time I have to pause and think hard before selecting an option, especially as choosing the wrong one might lose work irretrievably!.

I think the following would be clearer; I'm sure this can be improved still further: `The document blah.lyx is already open in LyX. Do you want to read the version saved on disk? <read from disk> <switch to open document> .'

Two problems:

1 - wording is too long for push buttons
2 - new description misses out the critical part - that choosing to load
the disk version will revert any changes you've made in the unsaved one

I agree that what's there now could be improved, but I don't think your
suggestion is a step forwards. Any other ideas?

regards
john

How about `The document blah.lyx is already loaded. Do you want to revert to the saved version, or use the already loaded version? <revert> <use loaded version>.'