Dekel Tsur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

| The following patch improves the multi-lingual support:
|
| 1. Add support for displaying languages with multiple charsets.
| See a screenshot at http://www.math.tau.ac.il/~dekel/lyx/unicode.png

Impressive.

| To use it, select "iso10646-1" as screen font encoding.
| (note that the text is still stored as 8-bit. At the rendering stage it is
| transformed to 16-bit according to the current language)

So we need unicode postscriptfonts to use this?

We really should switch to use ucs4 internally.
We really should wstitch to fileformat in utf8

Your patch looks _really_ good, and I think I will apply it even if I
have some points that should be dealt with.

PainterBase is supposed to be gui independant so the XChar2b should
not be part of the api, not in Painter either.
Ideally we should also have lyxfont guiindependence...

| 2. Add automatic handling of input encoding:
| When the input encoding is set to "auto", LyX will generate automatically
| the arguments to the inputenc package, and will also put \inputencoding{}
| commands between paragraphs with different encodings.

On what basis does it discover the correct encoding? In language is
default and I enter 'æ' what encoding will it use then?

        Lgb