On Tue, Jul 04, 2000 at 09:40:21PM +0200, Lars Gullik Bj&resh;nnes wrote:
> | To use it, select "iso10646-1" as screen font encoding.
> | (note that the text is still stored as 8-bit. At the rendering stage it is
> | transformed to 16-bit according to the current language)
>
> So we need unicode postscriptfonts to use this?

Any unicode font (bitmap, type1, TTF).
In the screenshot, I've used monotype arial TTF font.

> We really should switch to use ucs4 internally.

Or ucs2, where the choice is done at compile time.
This will double (quad) the memory usage, but I don't think that it is much
of a problem.
(Another (probably not so good) option is to use utf8 internally.)

How exactly this should be done? I'm thinking of the following:
In encoding.h (or elsewhere):
  typedef short int Uchar;
  typedef std::vector<Uchar> Ustring;

and in LyXParagraph class we use:
  Ustring text;

Finally, the painter text drawing method should be
  text(int x, int y, Ustring::iterator begin, Ustring::iterator end,
       LyXFont const & f);

> We really should wstitch to fileformat in utf8
>
> PainterBase is supposed to be gui independant so the XChar2b should
> not be part of the api, not in Painter either.
> Ideally we should also have lyxfont guiindependence...

See above.

> | 2. Add automatic handling of input encoding:
> | When the input encoding is set to "auto", LyX will generate automatically
> | the arguments to the inputenc package, and will also put \inputencoding{}
> | commands between paragraphs with different encodings.
>
> On what basis does it discover the correct encoding? In language is
> default and I enter '?' what encoding will it use then?

Again with the "default" language ?
I've already said that the "default" language should be deleted.