Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
2. it is easier to toggle boldface. A simple operation (usually C-B)
can switch bold face on and off even for a sentense with mixed normal
and bold text. It is much more difficult to work with inset charstyle.
The 'backspace at the beginning  of the inset' trick looks more like
magic.
This is a very good point, but unrelated to the bold issue. The people
who push for font as an inset should put their code where their mouth is
and make the interface usable (José?).
Let me just say that, having entered this discussion late---I see it's been going on for rather a while---I was somewhat confused about what the debate was about. So, to clarify my own previous position, I rather agree with the point of view being pushed here, that semantic and physical markup should be clearly separated; that semantic markup should be done via charstyles; and that physical markup should be discouraged. And yes, we do need a solution to the problem to which Bo points.

That said, I do still think that the mechanisms for physical markup are somewhat broken. The existing Text Styles dialog, in particular, does not work properly; the boundaries of the physical markup can be nearly impossible to discover; etc, etc. So I think the font-as-inset question is independent of the semantic--physical question, and it seems to me the two get mixed up.

Richard

Richard G Heck, Jr
Professor of Philosophy
Brown University
http://frege.brown.edu/heck/
Get my public key from http://sks.keyserver.penguin.de
Learn how to sign your email using Thunderbird and GnuPG at:
http://dudu.dyn.2-h.org/nist/gpg-enigmail-howto