"Lars Gullik Bjønnes" wrote:
> "New" and "New from template" should be collapsed into one item.
> Perhaps should also "Open" be put together with them.

I would find it more intuitive if "New" remains, with a rather
different action though. New should give you an empty document from
scratch, without asking questions or window popups. LyX should
assume something like "Untitled.lyx" as the filename.

I therefore suggest to collapse the following three into one
File->Open entry:
                  File->New_from_template
                  File->Open
                  File->Import

Open and Import can collapse beautifully when using the
extension-sensitivity: *.lyx, *.tex, *.txt etc. are opened as
you expect (with the possibility to overrule these assumptions).

-------------

This extension-sensitivity can also be used for collapsing
File->Save_as  and  File->Export,
using *.lyx, *.tex, *.dvi, *.ps, *.txt, *.html file extensions
which are saved as you expect them to be saved.

--------

I've tried to combine most comments so far and my own ideas
in this menu design:

          http://www.postech.ac.kr/~lahaye/LyX_menu

Regards,

Rob.