Lars> I must say that I then prefere the emacs like "find-file" a lot
Lars> over the "New" and "Open" items".

It makes sense. Note that we could have _all_ these functions, and
then different menu sets (emacs, cua...) would add some of them in the menu.

Lars> why is Untitled.lyx better than newfile.lyx?

What would be better is, as most wordprocessors do, have a special
(untitled) name which is not a valid file name, so that, when saving,
'Save as...' is called automatically. This is the only scheme that
makes sense with a separate New item. Otherwise, I agree that
find-file is better.

So let's have both possibilities (but not put them in menus at the
same time).