Dov Feldstern wrote:
John Levon wrote:
On Wed, Oct 03, 2007 at 02:47:50PM +0200, Abdelrazak Younes wrote:

That's true for the current insets, absolutely *not* for char styles.
It's not acceptable for it to need two keypresses to get from a to b in
'ab' just because a has a different char style.
But why would you want to have two different charstyles in the _same_ word? If you need that then I would say that this is a use case where you really want to use font attributes and not charstyle.

This applies equally well to punctuation, spacing, whatever. Cursor
movement operations must operate 'visibly' in all circumstances.

This is also a difficult UI problem that will frustrate people I think.
Imagine if I have:

     blah blah __blah foo foo__

and I want to reset the third blah to have no style like the others.
It'll be immensely annoying to have to carefully select just up to the
'b' (any further, and you'll have the whole inset).
Look at what I proposed in another message to you: I think that basically this problem would be easily solved by having one inset per word:

        blah blah __blah__ __foo__ __foo__

Of course, on export to LateX, LyX would be free to merge adjacent inset into _one_ charstyle.

It's an interesting idea. I need to think some more about it. My main
immediate problem would be that the selection behaviour depends entirely
on whether it has a style. This still doesn't seem intuitive. I
absolutely do want to be able to cut and paste with the 'innards' of
words, regardless of style.

+1

Abdel, even if your suggestion would work (and we haven't discussed how latex --- that is, LyX when generating latex --- would know how to merge charstyles.

For LateX the algorithm is very simple: just merge adjacent cells.

We'd just get into the same issues again, I think) --- but does it make sense? What is it *representing*? Nobody thinks about applying emphasis as applying it to this word, and then to this word, and then to the next. I apply it to a chunk of text (which may or may not include partial words, for all I care).

It's should be easy to merge adjacent inset visually so that they look like they are the same chunk of text. The user will not notice the difference I am sure. But that was just an idea, maybe you're right that some things will feel unnatural but I really have the impression that we could make this work.

Abdel.