Martin Vermeer wrote:
On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 10:44:48PM +0200, Helge Hafting wrote:
Martin Vermeer wrote:
On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 10:42:35AM +0200, Helge Hafting wrote:
[...]
How about having insets normally invisible, but having the boundaries appear
in some way whenever the cursor goes inside? That way we
don't break up reading normally, but we see the boundaries when editing,
and that is the time this is necessary.

Helge Hafting
Like this?
Almost! A text with many charstyles is now much easier to read.

The only thing I could ask for here, is to see the borders also when
the cursor is right in front of the inset, because the "delete" key
will delete the entire inset if used at that point. That is obvious if
the frame is there, not so if it isn't.

Thinking it over a little more, consider this an object lesson in the
utility of visible inset frames ;-) Are you sure you couldn't live with
those little corners?
Hard to say. Uncluttered reading is important, I wouldn't want
to read a "user guide" that is full of little boxes, or where the
line spacing is too wide every other line in order to make room for markup.

If the corners are small and unobtrusive and don't change line spacing
or word spacing (or letter spacing when a style ends in the middle of a word)
then it is probably ok.  But will unobtrusive corners be enough to
avoid the "delete key" surprise?

Having the frame appear when the cursor goes in was nice. Is it really that
hard to make it appear when the cursor is right in front or right behind
an inset as well? Something like: "when the cursor is put somewhere,
check if it is immediately before or after an inset. If so, turn the frame(s) on."
And of course, turn the frame off if the cursor moves away from it.

Sometimes one wants to check the markup, it would then be nice to
be able to turn all the frames on. But I guess that won't be hard to do.

Helge Hafting