Dov Feldstern wrote:
I think that any way we look at it, the first thing we (I guess that means "the ranges people", I hope it doesn't mean just "me") have to do is to provide a solid implementation of ranges. Until we have a good, working Range implementation, there's not much that we can do.

Integral parts of the Range implementation should be Andre's suggestion for how to store the ranges in the .lyx file; and the algorithm I presented earlier --- together with JMarc's additions --- for translating the character-based Ranges into legally nested entities for latex (and this could even cope with non-nested ranges, though perhaps not with complete success; I think we should view this possibility as a "nice-to-have").

I've created a wiki page for working towards a Ranges implementation. Please feel free to fill it in!
http://wiki.lyx.org/Devel/Ranges