> > No. You extract [tmpdir]filenamedir.lyxdir/embed from the bundle to
> > $DOC_DIR/filename.embed. (Or you had a typo?)
>
>  No, I mean that the file _contents_ will not change. Changing names is not
> very important.

But the inset presentation will change, right?

> >  filename.lyxdir (a directory?),
> >
>  No. This one should be hidden in the temp directory.

This is why I liked your proposal much better than Richard's.

>  Well, you asked me questions and I tried to answer with my idea of would
> things work for me, nothing more.

Sorry, some points did not fit your proposal. :-)

>  Is there any drawbacks? Moving file is cheap on most systems and with my
> proposal the moving would only happen following a user action. By definition
> we are not limited by time constraints in this case.

The drawbacks are 1. code complicity because the insets need to be
changed, and 2. backward compatibility, 3. change of user's input. I
mean, if a user craftes a beautiful directory structure, for example
bib, figure_chap1, figure_chap2, pack it and send it to another
machine. When he unpacks the file and sees changed insets and
directory structure, will he be happy?

I mean, why the KISS structure is the only rightful structure a user
can have? There are millions of reasons a user wants his own
structure.

>  Well, I've just given my opinion, that's all. Take it as such.

I appreciate that.

> > No. The edit button will not work. Some latex output may be in danger
> > because the external file does not exist.
> >

>  I don't understand, the files are guaranted to exist because we made sure
> to copy them at the first place.

I am talking about your limited bundle-editing mode where you kept all
files in the temporary directory, where the insets are unaware of this
fact.

> > break. If you study my code, a full bundle-editing implementation is
> > actually easier than yours.
> >

>  I admit I didn't read much this code.

The idea is that the insets know where the files are and tell others
so, so the changes are limited to these insets.

Cheers,
Bo