Bo Peng wrote:
  In a way, this is even more flexible than
your solution. As I said, if the external contributor is interested in your
file hierarchy, ...

Abdel,

This is the only 'advantage' I see from your messages and I do not see
how your proposal could be more flexible.

That's your opinion :-)

If two co-authors  use
different directory structure, I can not see how their bundled version
can be the same.

Then you still do not understand what I mean. I guess I was not clear enough...

I understand that this is the way you want to go, but I am afraid that
I am not convinced why the directory structure has to be changed.
Embedding/bundling is a feature to help a user transfer his .lyx file
from one machine to another,

A proper directory structure and zip is enough for this.

help users share the same .lyx file.

That's a side advantage for me. The prime advantage is to define a "portable" LyX format. Bundling the pdf and/or ps, as suggested by Christian, even make sense to me.

Simply by definition, the .lyx file itself should not be changed.

Definition by who? This is not a sacro-saint goal IMO.

If
you are worried about privacy, security etc (give me a reason!),

I don't. I just think my approach (combined with Edwin's) is simpler in terms of work flow and code complexity. Your approach needs an implementation at inset level and impose the directory structure of the first author to all co-author. My approached impose a standardized directory structure.

an
alias + session solution may be used, but that should be an additional
feature, not part of embedding.

OK, as I am not going to implement my proposal in any case and as I cannot of course ask you to implement it, that's the end of the story for me. I just wanted to offer my view of it but I am off with this subject now as I have other things to fix and I have basically zero part time.

Cheers,
Abdel.