> Speaking from a former life: In almost all cases I would have liked to
> have fully embedded (i.e. "copied") graphics, drawings, code snippets
> even if I used them in multiple .lyx files. A noteworthy exception would
> have been the .bib files that continued to receive minor updates (mostly
> spelling) over time, and two or three selected drawings.

Individual embedding is useful during unbundling.

When time comes to unbundle, recovering the original external file
structure can be dangerous so an export-like operation is provided in
both proposals. In the updated proposal, I suggested a 'Un-embed files
with external copies' operation which un-embed only insets with
existing and identical external files. Modified and new files are kept
embedded. Because the majority of external files are unchanged when we
work with co-authors, this partial unbundling is a very practical
alternative to troublesome full unbundling.

(Please CC me if you would like me to be involved in further discussions).

Cheers,
Bo