> Sure but I think you miss two points:
> - LyX does not read these files most of the time thanks to the converter
> cache; and if it does it reads then asynchronously after the .lyx file is
> loaded on screen. In effect this means that the user sees a much faster
> - most of the time the referenced files are much bigger than the .lyx file
> itself (graphics or bib files are typically bigger for example).

I do not quite get it. Are we talking about base64 vs. zip? When you
open both types of files, you need to extract embedded files first.
After that, all the operations are the same. If you are comparing
between the base64 bundle, and the filename + dir bundle without
compression, you may get a point.

Cheers,
Bo