> This looks like a sensible approach in general. Is the document class then
> not reset? So if I have ClassX, and this is not found, will LyX keep this
> ClassX unless I manually switch to another class? (This is the way it
> should be IMHO).

Yes. All layouts are kept, although the textclass is named "Unknown
text class (unavailable)" in Document -> Settings. Users can edit and
save this document as usual even if no valid layout is selected,
although the document may not be compilable. The 'layout conversion'
process only happens when another layout is selected from the
textclass list, or from disk as a local layout.

> Generally speaking, I'm glad to see that the hiding of the browse button
> finally triggered some action. Actually, this is what I intended with this
> rather rude step ;-)

It worked. :-)

Bo