> Currently, when a LyX document without a proper (system or local)
> layout file is opened, the default textclass (article) is used. This
> changes the document and will result in data loss if the document is
> saved.

Will anyone object the idea of totally removing hasLayout() and the
layout conversion process? Basically, any unknown textclass and
unknown layout will act like a standard layout but will keep their
names. Different textclasses can be applied to a document without the
current unknown -> standard conversion. The motivation is that as long
as these layouts look and work like standard, we should keep them to
avoid data loss.

The biggest change to everyday use is that when you apply an article
layout to a beamer document, the original layouts such as frame are
kept, and they will behave as usual when you apply the beamer layout
again.

Bo