On Fri, 26 Sep 2008, Konrad Hofbauer wrote:

I (sort of) came to the conclusion though that it is too late for 1.6 anyhow (especially in terms of documentation). Am I right with that?

No idea about that, but the documentation could certainly be an issue.

In general, I think we should be careful about changing the menu structure, and also that we should have good reasons for the changes. In a perfect world, we'd even document _why_ we do the changes.

I haven't followed this thread, so the following idea has probably already been raised, but just in case it hasn't: I think it'd be a good idea to ask users for feedback on the menu structure. Maybe by releasing a separate "version" of LyX so that users can actually test it. Or by presenting the structures (old, new1, new2 etc) to a wider range of users as menu trees or something.

If it's only a matter of changing the menu configuration file[*], you could publish that file on the users' list and ask for feedback.

Best regards
/Christian

[*] Is it only the menu configuration file that needs changing?

--
Christian Ridderström, +46-8-768 39 44            http://www.md.kth.se/~chr