Vincent van Ravesteijn - TNW wrote:
I'm sort of working on the subject..
How do you think of David's proposal? Do you already have
your own proposal or even implementation somewhere?

Hi Bo,
It's nice to see that David is thinking with us, but as you said, I
think the proposal is not shockingly different from the things that have
been discussed before.

I've created a wiki page (http://wiki.lyx.org/Devel/BundleRoadmap) which
acts as my 'yellow note' on how to implement the feature.
I try:

- to implement the features incrementally, because I'm afraid that if I
propose one large patch sometime, that we will end up in a never-ending
discussion. I think the feature is separable into small chunks, which we
can discuss individually.

- not to come up with 'my new proposal', but to extend the ideas upon
which there was some agreement and to clearly present the aspects about
which there was disagreement. Then we can take decisions on these
aspects one at a time.

The first thing I'm planning to propose is the registration of files.
That is I want to implement a member of Buffer that keeps track of all
external files that are used by the buffer. This will be largely based
on your EmbeddedFiles class. The difference will be, that I postpone the
decision on embedding and that all files should be registered.
If we have such a list we can easily implement "Export to directory..",
which is step 1 of the embedding/bundling feature (IMHO).

Bo

I'd be happy to get feedback from you (and other experts on this issue),

Not that I am an expert but you first step is OK with me. Note that you kind of already have that with the Navigator for InsetGraphics.

Abdel.